Everything Old Is New Again




What do you get when you mix the area's  top chef with an ancient Long Branch tradition?


You, my friends, get Nunzio's (230 Westwood Ave Long Branch ) . When I walk into this place its 


like stepping into a time warp. It 1956 and my family and I going to the “ pizza parlor” for a fresh 


“tomato pie”. I can almost hear the old men playing Bocce in the alleyway next door. The sites, 


the smells , the jukebox , the plastic seats are all the same or are they? Yes and no. The pizza is 


still thin and crispy with just the perfect char. The Antipast is still fresh and crunchy . But what's 


this? Just whipped house ricotta with honey from Trama's own beehive ?  Homemade Focaccia 


with Robiola Cheese and Truffle Oil ? Pretty fancy for Nunzio’s. Yep , the digs are same , the 


family friendly vibe is the same but the food , well that's elevated. In case you don't remember  


Pat Trama is the classically trained executive chef of the splendid Trama's Trattoria (115 


Brighton Ave)  in Long Branch. His vision and skill is evident here. Instead of remaking 


Nunzio's,  he recharged it , preserving the tradition but adding a few twists of his own.  


Now enough of that, now  let's get to the food.. I would be remiss if I did not mention the 


Chicken Parmigiana for 2 is absolutely  Favolosa ( not the floor cleaner)  , one of the best I have 


ever tasted. It arrives perfectly fried and crispy  with just the right texture. It is also humongous , 


filling two large plates which will keep you  both  fed until Wednesday for a mere $28. That my 


friends makes this dish “TADA”  my Food and Wine Corner bargain of the year .You also can’t 


go wrong with Mama Trama's Spaghetti and Meatballs in Red Sauce.($22).  I for one am kinda 


glad that  the  new regime  did not heed the advice of the previous owners Louie  and his sister 


(the original) Snookie who allegedly told him ”Look you just don’t change nothin “.  To that I say 


“Hey Louie, can you pass the cheese?”










Comments

Popular posts from this blog